Saturday, March 24, 2012

On Running Away




We’re being naïve, at least, that’s how they’ll see it. And
they’re right, babe, they’re totally right.
We’re stepping onto a plane vastly
undiscovered, a plane so adventurous and
irresponsible. The time to be naïve is now.

But you know what I say?
I say so what.

I say the world has enough
adults, that the only
way to be not only
an adult but also human is to
live outside of it,
I say the world needs more
love.

I say I need more love.
I say you need more love.

I say love is green and watery,
grass in the riverbed.

The riverbed is time and cities
and the SATs and postmarked
decisions, but the riverbed
is also you, also me,
also the knowledge of self.

We must understand our naivety.
We must see it as a denial.
A denial of societal “truths” in
the name of individual truth,
that the truth is not in yesterday.
But in today. By bringing back
the mud from the firsthand
wonders of danger,
whether it’s the wail of police
sirens or the edge of a knife,
the cold sweat of a desperate
kid with no way out,
we will not only live
in complete understanding,

We will be the grass in the riverbed.
And then, only then, will we have
the power and wisdom
to change the world.

Let us be so naïve.
Because in little kids
there are new ideas,
because in little kids
there is honesty,
simplicity, imagination.
Because in little kids
there is love.

Let us love, and be loved.
The world has enough adults.

No comments:

Post a Comment