Monday, October 1, 2012

Poverty in Eastchester


The train rattles on by as I sit
in the green New York suburb
of Eastchester, Westchester
county. There's a golf club behind
me, trees, miles of grass interspersed
with homes and a neighborhood full
of old money, upper middle class type
old money, money made in the city
doin' the dirty, sparkling Audis hover
in the driveway.

Let me speak for a minute about
poverty. Poverty's different
for everyone, but almost everyone
feels it.

Let's talk ramen noodle poor. Let's talk
tap water poor; no television no internet no
gas no telephone don't even know what
day it is poor.

It's beautiful here in Eastchester, West-
chester county, crickets noising up
the woods to the tracks on my right,
to the south, while I lie here thinking
about how I'm here using old money
to combat itself. Haha! I'm an

evil genius.

No comments:

Post a Comment